a weekend at the Edge

A weekend at the Edge proved to be a great one! The trip planning started in February. Mahrya, Sean, Abby and Isaac and the Olson 4 were all going to make up for our winter weekend that didn't happen in January. We were so excited, the kids were earning stars on their charts for the water park and then it happened...the bedbug report came out and we all freaked!
Once the issue was cleared up and there were in fact no bedbugs at the "big hotel" we were back on. We had one simple request. Please put us in joint rooms so we can all hang out and then go to bed in our own rooms. That didn't happen.
The kids were so excited to swim that we all got changed in the locker rooms and waited for the staff to fix our room mix up. Abby was celebrating her 9th Birthday that Sunday and brought enough goggles for all the kids to wear. The boys are all just a year apart, 5, 4, and 3. Busy.
We spent as much time as we could in the pools. Abby and I went down the tube slides multiple times. Parker even braved the big slide with me. I was just a tad concerned that they wouldn't let him wear a life jacket down the tube slide, but he took it right off. You could find Emmitt at any given moment with some parent in the hot tub. By the end of the weekend we were saying he had "hot tub cough". This loose, gross, wet, phlegmy cough. He and Isaac were the two in the hot tub the most and they had it. Then the next morning all the kids at breakfast were coughing so it is something in the water or air.
Isaac and Sean. Two of the most fun boys I have ever known!
The look on Emmitt's face in the picture below is something I hope and pray I never forget. This image has been forever etched in my brain. I can even hear his voice when I think of this face. It's the I see my momma and I want her to come get me right now, I love her so much! And I am not lying. That is really what he is thinking and saying. He will blurt out to most people that he loves them so much, just out of the blue. It makes most people so happy they just scoop him up and love on him. I am not sure shouting it to the pizza delivery man is such a great idea, but hey...we all know the world could use a little more love!
When we were finally alerted that the room situation had been worked out, we were pleasantly surprised. One because what we ended up with is what we had originally requested and were told no and two, we were told no by the hotel and the husbands who all agreed it was the best part of the trip. We (Mahrya and I) had originally wanted a suite for 8. 2 big begs for the parents and 2 sets of twin bunk beds for the kids. The hotel said nope, it only sleeps 7. Whatever, I am sure we could cram those guys on the pullout couch! When we checked in, they gave us (or so they thought) 2 rooms that joined by a door. Well Mahrya's door joined to some one else and we didn't have a door to anyone! So we ended up in the suite for the same price, throw in our discounts from being hospital employees, pack all our own food to share and you get a $200 weekend for everything! Wristbands included. We didn't factor in food costs and liquor since we would have done those two at home all weekend anyways. But not dining out, free tickets to the Children's Museum (via the Library system), and smart meal planning made the whole trip that much more fun! We had a blast. The kids all had toys along to share and the bunk beds made it that much more memorable. Their room was sort of closed off with their own TV. It was awesome...definitely a must do again.
Gave the hubs the camera, on top of low lighting and steamy air temps, this below is proof that I am their mom and I was at the Edge in March of 2011 with them.There is something about watching your kid accomplish something all by himself that is so rewarding and sad at the same moment. Parker wanted to do the rope walk. The first 2 times I literally had to hold the floaty walking "stones" in place so the kid could get across. Then he says, mom you can go take pictures of me, I'll do it all by myself. Sigh, I say and I proceed to the edge of the pool. You know what? You are so right, he crossed them and came running to me with the biggest, proudest grin that it made it so rewarding and sad all at once.

No comments