Christmas Scented Playdough!

So I'll be the first to admit I'm not a huge fan of Pinterest. I'm the best case scenario of the Pinterest fails. I have avoided that site for years because I have a tendency to try everything and I really don't have the time!! 

But I got suckered in with the Playdough that you can scent with oils! The recipe said peace and calming but I switched it up. I made one of our advent calendar activities Christmas scented Playdough. I let the boys pick the "flavors" and colors. I had mixed emotions about food coloring the dough so I at least had them wear rubber gloves when mixing!

Here is the recipe: (I quadrupled this to make 4 different options)
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil 
1/2 cup flour
1/4 salt
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
Oils of your choice 
Food coloring (optional)

Mix all ingredients in a saucepan or stockpot until the batter is smooth. No lumps.

Place on the stove on medium heat and stir CONTINUOUSLY! (Like put your fitbit on this wrist and stir!). Your batter will start to form one big ball.


Remove from heat and let it cool enough to the touch. Form one ball and divide if you want to make multiple colors or scents.

Place each ball into a bowl and make a well in the middle. Drop your food coloring and oils in the well and then knead with your hands. (Wear rubber gloves if you add the dye!).

I let them pick the oils and colors. 
Red = Christmas Spirit
Blue = Believe
Black = Valor (Parker picked because of the black spruce)
Green = pine and peppermint
Yellow = Joy

Once mixed you are all ready to play! I busted out the Christmas cookie cutters for the boys and they loved it! It's been a couple of days and they are still making things for me! And the playdough smells amazing!! I wanted to take the Valor one to work with me!









No comments